Date:      Sun, 9 Oct 2005 09:33:44 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@crodrigues.org>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Teaching mount(8) to use nmount()

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r

On Sun, Oct 09, 2005 at 09:07:01AM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
+> In message <20051009064053.GA7261@garage.freebsd.pl>, Pawel Jakub Dawide=
k write
+> s:
+>=20
+> >My suggestion (which I discusses with Craig on IRC a bit already) is as
+> >follows:
+> >
+> >- We create one mount(8) program.
+> >
+> >- When it is called with '-t <fs>' switch, we look for
+> >  /lib/mount/mount_<fs>.so and try to dlopen() it.
+>=20
+> No way.
+>=20
+> Doing that would take much more code than having separate mount
+> binaries because it would add yet another ABI which has to be
+> versioned and managed etc etc.

So you think there will be more ABI changes to maintain than we have
mount_<fs> binaries at the moment? And where every binary have to
duplicate the same code?

I also don't know how passing arguments to .so is different than passing
them to external binary. At least here we can verify ABI and we can
eventually verify other things (like which options are supported, etc.).
The .so have to parse arguments, use build_iovec() and return.
In my opinion it'll save a lot of code duplication.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r

--2B/JsCI69OhZNC5r--