Date:      Thu, 19 Jul 2007 17:38:14 +0200
From:      "[LoN]Kamikaze" <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        baldur@foo.is, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: removing external usb hdd without unmounting causes reboot?

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20070718145954.GX36311@gremlin.foo.is>
>             Baldur Gislason <baldur@foo.is> writes:
> : I vaguely remember being able to yank out USB drives in 5.x and just make
> : usbd execute a forced umount without any problems. FAT32 drives mind you.
> : On 6.2 I haven't even been able to unplug a USB drive even if I unmount it
> : first, always results in a kernel panic.
>
> This has never worked.  Not even on 5.x.  Or 4.10.  I've tested these
> both recently accidentally...
>
> Warner

As I mentioned earlier I remember it working during the 5.3 era on Stable, at
some point it worked. I even remember removing my CD-Rom drive from my Thinkpad
without running atacontrol detach. The system just took it and the drive just
continued working after I put it back in.

Anyway, is there a way to convince the kernel that removable devices are NFS
mounts? I suppose there'd be an additional layer required that clusters file
operations to consistent atomic operations similar to NFS.