Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2003 9:20:32 -0400
From:      cas <xcas@cox.net>
To:        "Perry S. Glenn" <psglenn@yahoo.com>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: chkrootkit w/ current

From: "Perry S. Glenn" <psglenn@yahoo.com>
Date: 2003/06/08 Sun AM 03:44:35 EDT
To: freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject: chkrootkit w/ current

Hello,
I'm running current and I had left forgot to turn the ftp knob in
inetd.conf off. I came back after a drive to find my /var/ filesystem
full. I did not (per sysinstall)have anon ftp on, but someone made
lots of bogus directories in /var/ftp/pub anyway.
I decided to install /ports/security/chkrootkit after a short google.
chkrootkit says it finds 12 processes hidden from ps command and a
possible LKM Trojan installed.
chkroot also calls
ls ps date chsh and chfn
"INFECTED"

Is chkrootkit giving accurate info for FreeBSD-5 ?

Could someone check to see if they get false positives with this script

on current.

TIA

--psglenn
yes.. it does give false positives.. I asked the same question about those commands. :-)