Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 1999 21:37:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Oleg Semyonov <os@altavista.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD libradius accounting patch suggestion

Oleg Semyonov wrote:

>     Excuse me for my "English" but I'm sure you understand me.

Heh, I think your English is better than mine!

>     I need the pppd-2.3.9(10) daemon with RADIUS authentication
> and accounting.  I've patched original pppd-2.3.9 distribution for
> FreeBSD specifics and put into source the RADIUS capabilities with
> almost full support for auth and accounting.  To do so I've patched
> your libradius sources extracted from FreeBSD 3.* for accounting
> support. Patches are attached.

Wow, this is great work!  Thank you very much -- I really appreciate
it.  I will put your libradius changes into -current, and then into
3.x-stable a week or two later.  I'm not so sure about 2.2-stable.
It's really considered to be a dead branch at this point.  Nothing
is being committed there any more, except (rarely) serious security
fixes.

> 6. Default accounting config file is /etc/radacct.conf (not the best
>    solution, IMHO, but no way to extend radius.conf(5) file format to
>    support accounting and maintain the compatibility with current libradius
>    version).

Hmm, I suppose we could extend the syntax somehow in a compatible way.

    *auth #the initial default for backward compatibility
    <auth lines>
    *acct
    <acct lines>

But I don't think it's worth it.  Your solution is fine.

Would you mind sending your patches again using send-pr, and then
telling me the PR number?  Then your patches will be in the GNATS
database where they won't be lost.  And I'll receive weekly reminders
from a cron job somewhere nagging me to commit the stuff.  If that's
too much trouble, then don't worry.  You can nag me yourself instead.
:-) There's a possiblity I won't get it done before I have to leave
for FreeBSDCon next week, and I don't want to forget it after that.

Thanks again for this contribution!

John
---
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron