Date:      Fri, 6 Feb 1998 21:24:20 -0500 (EST)
From:      Robert Watson <robert@cyrus.watson.org>
To:        Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: More NFS Problems

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Evan Champion wrote:

> What I see is if the server goes down when only a few processes are trying
> to use the mount, the client never times out, but when the server does come
> back up, the client restore the mount properly and everything goes along
> quite nicely.
>
> If, on the other hand, a huge number of processes are stuck on the mount,
> the stuck processes basically have to be terminated before the mount will be
> accessible again, even long after the server has come back up.

I have seen this behavior on a number of our -stable clients.  The clients
hang trying to access the file system even after the server comes back up
again.  The machine eventually has to be rebooted.  So much for a
stateless system :).  As a result, we are very cautious about rebooting
our file server during active client usage.  I haven't had this particular
problem on our -current machines, but they are a little flaky anyway so
who knows :).

  Robert N Watson

Carnegie Mellon University http://www.cmu.edu/
SafePort Network Services  http://www.safeport.com/