Date:      Tue, 26 Apr 2005 15:40:13 +0200
From:      cpghost@cordula.ws
To:        Lord Raiden <me@raiden.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Questions about processes

On Mon, Apr 25, 2005 at 11:18:30PM -0400, Lord Raiden wrote:
>         Hi all.  Looking for some info about some processes I've got
> running on my box.  I'm new to 5.3 having used the 4x line for a long time
> and I'm curious about my process list.  When I do "ps -ax" I get the
> following list as seen below.  Are all of these items really needed and if
> not, what items can I get rid of and how?

These are kernel threads. 5.x is more modular than 4.x and a lot
of functionality has been moved to internal threads (for the sake
of SMP). There's really nothing wrong with this; esp. since the
number of threads is still pretty small :)

The kernel may create more such threads if it needs them; like e.g.
when using GBDE or so.

> The machine in question is a
> very simple fetching mail server running on a 500mhz Via Eden Mini-ITX
> board.

I'm using the same hardware here. It is more than fast enough for this.
Don't worry about those kernel threads, which are idle most of the time.
The CPU time they consume would have been used up in 4.x too (as system
time), you would just not see it with ps there as you can see it here.

> Steven Lake
> -Owner/Webmaster
> Raiden's Realm
> www.raiden.net