Date:      Sun, 11 Jan 1998 12:12:54 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        ITG staff <jin@george.lbl.gov>
Cc:        rneswold@Mcs.Net, freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6 Problems...

On Fri, Jan 09, 1998 at 04:26:12PM -0800, ITG staff wrote:
>> I have a K6 (stepping 9741 (?)), 64MB of SDRAM, Intel-TX chipset.

The stepping code includes a letter, which is important.  It will be B
or C.  But the numbers are higher than any stepping code that has the
dreaded 32 MB aliasing bug.

>> Any help or suggestions would be appreciated!
>>

> If you have another CPU (AMD 9744??

What's the difference?

> or Intel P5), you may try to it on your motherboard and recompile
> the kernel.

And it may work.  This doesn't help much.

> I have ASUS TX97 with 5 AMD 9744??[bcd]??? CPUs, and everything
> works fine.

I had a few problems when I upgraded to a K6/233:

1.  The voltage.  Most K6s need 2.8V core voltage, but the K6/233
    needs 3.2 or 3.3 V, depending on the chip.  It's written on the
    chip.

2.  Overheating.  This applies particularly to the /233, which
    generates about 30W.  I did some investigation with a thermometer,
    and found that the temperature rises sharply with increasing CPU
    load.  Use only the original K6 cooler.

Obviously your problem isn't (2), since it doesn't get far enough to
overheat, and it always stops in the same place.  Check the voltage,
and play around with it if you're in doubt.  If that doesn't work, try
lowering the frequency, and check your motherboard/BIOS settings.

Greg