Date:      Tue, 31 Jul 2007 14:44:44 -0400
From:      John Nielsen <lists@jnielsen.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Noah <admin2@enabled.com>
Subject:   Re: xf86 madness - stop installing drivers

On Tuesday 31 July 2007 02:37:36 pm Noah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am wondering if there is an easy way to stop installing all of the
> xf86 input an video drivers listed below.

Sure, just uninstall the xorg metaport, the xorg-drivers metaport, and any of
the driver ports you listed that you're not interested in. You can use
pkg_delete or similar.

To actually _prevent_ the packages from being installed, you should avoid
installing either metaport above or anything that depends on them.

If you felt so inspired, you could make your own xorg-drivers-custom metaport,
have it depend on only the drivers you're interested in, mark it as
conflicting with the vanilla xorg-drivers port, and use it as a replacement.
You'd probably have to run pkgdb -F a lot (if you use portupgrade) or take
other provisions to repair the dependencies, but it could be done.

On the whole though, what are you trying to gain? X.org and XFree86 on FreeBSD
have always defaulted to installing all of the available drivers. It's just
more visible now that each one has its own port in the post Xorg-7.0 world.

JN