Date:      Sun, 17 Nov 1996 22:10:32 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Red Barchetta <paradox@pegasus.rutgers.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dots over letters

On Sat, 16 Nov 1996, Red Barchetta wrote:

> This happened to the e's when I was installing 2.1.5R, the c's a few times
> while I was running it (just suddenly, for no apparent reason), and just
> today to the c's, d's, e's, n's, r's, and s's during my upgrade to 2.1.6.
>
> After starting the session (i.e. during bootup and during the first few
> minutes of regular opration), the characters print as normal to the screen.
>  Then at some point the dot's begin appearing, first over one char, then
> another, etc.  It seems pretty random, and I can't think of anything I
> could have done to cause it.
>
> Has anyone seen this before, and can anyone explain it?  It's driving me nuts!

I haven't seen anything like this myself.  It appears that your video
fonts are becoming corrupted though.  You might check your video RAM if
you can (My Mach64 has the capabiility I believe)or try another video
card.  There is a way to reload the fonts through vidcontrol(1), but I
haven't used that option.

Check the mail archives on http://www.freebsd.org just in case.