Date:      Tue, 04 Jun 2002 13:05:10 -0700
From:      bmah@acm.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Heiner Eichmann <h.eichmann@gmx.de>
Cc:        qa@FreeBSD.org, "dsyphers@uchicago.edu" <dsyphers@uchicago.edu>
Subject:   Re: Missing /var/db/pgk entry for XFree after installation

If memory serves me right, Heiner Eichmann wrote:

> During the FreeDSB installation, I have choosen to install X-Windows and KDE
> as well. Immediately afterwards I tried to upgrade to KDE3 using the ports wh
> ich failed. After contacting David Syphers I guessed,
> that the missing XFree entry in /var/db/pgk was the reason. So I installed XF
> ree 3 again (which created the required entry) and afterwards the KDE upgrade
>  succeeded. As suggested by David I report this to you.
> If possible, the installation of components by sysinstall should keep track o
> f the installed components in /var/db/pgk to keep the database consistent!

Unlike older versions of FreeBSD, sysinstall in FreeBSD 4.6 will install
XFree86 as a set of several normal binary package (thus making the
proper additions to /var/db/pkg).  Package dependencies will be fulfilled
as with any other package installation, and you can run the usual
pkg_version/ pkg_info/portupgrade programs on it or its components.  In
other words, it should just Do The Right Thing (TM) in this regard.

(FYI, 4.6-RELEASE will also use XFree86 4.2.0 by default, instead of
3.3.6.)

Bruce.