Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2008 16:52:50 +0100
From:      Bartosz Giza <gizmen@blurp.pl>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   kernel panic while using tcpdump

Hi,

We are using a lot of i386 computers as routers for out network. All of those
routers are using FreeBSD from 4.x to 7.x (exept 5.x)

We are having problem with kernel panic on routers based on 6.x and 7.x while
using tcpdump or trafshow. It is not that always we got kernel panics. We got
them in random occurence. Some time i can tcpdump for a minute and turn it
off and again while i am testing packets comming thru iface for an hour, and
nothin happens. But sometime i run tcpdump and after few second i got kernel
panic. It happens mostly when i am trying to close tcpdump with ctrl-c.
It happens also with trafshow3 which we are using to track transfers.

It happens on 6.x series and i thought that maybe there is bug in this line
and i have tryied 7.x line i got kernel panics also.

The problem is that i can't really get message when it happens because those
routers are in remote places and after 15 second they are rebooting (and that
is great:)

Is there any way to save this message to a file that i could paste over here ?

Could some one help me to diagnoze this behaviour ?

We are using i386 arch on all routers. The hardware is totally different from
quite old parts to quite new dell.
What is strange on 4.x we never hit such a kernel panic.

We are using mostly fxp NIC on all routers with some exeptions and i have
started wondering that maybe fxp driver has some bug or bpf code.

Thanks for any help in diagnosing this panics.