Date:      Sun, 23 Nov 2008 22:05:09 +0100
From:      Goran Lowkrantz <glz@hidden-powers.com>
To:        Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
Cc:        pjd@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zfs version 13 kernel and zfs version 6 userland tool?

--On Sunday, November 23, 2008 21:50 +0100 Alexander Leidinger
<Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:

> Quoting Goran Lowkrantz <glz@hidden-powers.com> (from Sun, 23 Nov 2008
> 21:24:08 +0100):
>
>> --On Sunday, November 23, 2008 20:41 +0100 Alexander Leidinger
>> <Alexander@Leidinger.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just half-updated a system to -current from today. This means I booted
>>> todays kernel with the old world.
>>>
>>> Is an old zfs userland tool supposed to work correctly with a recent
>>> kernel? All I get is "internal error: out of memory" when I try a zfs
>>> list (I noticed a problem as no zfs is mounted). I haven't read anything
>>> like it shouldn't work on the mailinglist (as this is the normal way of
>>> updating), so here are the loader.conf settings I use:
>>> ---snip---
>>> vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable=1
>>> vm.kmem_size="700M"
>>> vm.kmem_size_max="700M"
>>> vfs.zfs.arc_max="160M"
>>> vfs.zfs.vdev.cache.size="5M"
>>> ---snip---
>>>
>>> This i386 system has 768MB of memory.
>>>
>>> Luckily /usr/src is not on ZFS, so I can install the new world if I want
>>> to. But t be able to go back to the old kernel if necessary, I prefer to
>>> not blindly update to the new world, except I get a message which tells
>>> that it will fix my ZFS problem for sure.
>>>
>>> Bye,
>>> Alexander.
>>>
>> I had exactly the same problem but mount -t zfs worked so I mounted
>> all ZFS filesystems and ran installworld with NO_FSCGH=true as the
>> old zfs filesystem was version=1 and don't support flags until you
>> have upgraded the filesystem  to version 3.
>
> I don't have a problem with fschg, as I didn't even try to do an
> installworld. My problem is the memory error. Can you confirm that you
> had the same error before the installworld, but not after the
> installworld?

Yes,

With the old userland, I got error "internal error: out of memory" with
"zfs ..." and "zpool ..." but not "mount -t zfs ...". After installworld,
no problems at all.

/glz

---
"There is hopeful symbolism in the fact that flags do not wave in a vacuum."
                -- Arthur C. Clarke