Date:      Thu, 9 Mar 2006 03:12:24 GMT
From:      Miguel Lopes Santos Ramos <miguel@anjos.strangled.net>
To:        kris@obsecurity.org
Cc:        kuriyama@imgsrc.co.jp, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: rpc.lockd brokenness (2)

> From: Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
> Subject: Re: rpc.lockd brokenness (2)
>
> Yeah, the file is still locked on the server, and will never be
> unlocked unless you stop and restart the rpc.lockd on the server
> (which releases all the locks it holds).

I did that. Lots of times. And I removed /var/db/statd.status too when
the daemons where not running.
Is there any other file involved?

No.
There is a problem with rpc.lockd besides the other one.
This machine hangs even when I lock files with lockf -t 0 that never existed,
with fresh statd/lockd on client AND server (if /var/db/statd.status is
the only file involved).

> > Oh yes, I must try that again. I had problems in the past with using the =
> -L
> > option, gnome didn't run. Probably it was because it was a single / files=
> ystem
> > mounted on boot and the option on fstab was ignored, I must try it again.
>
> You can use the -o lockd form in /etc/fstab.

The -L option works in fstab, it is just not honored for mount -u /...
-o lockd is actually the opposite of -L, if the manpage is correct.
But the reason that gnome didn't start back then was because I stopped
running lockd, since I used -L, and forgot that the home directory was
a different mount through amd.
Anyway, this problem is no longer important.

I separated /usr and /var, and now the -L option is honored for them. But
I will always need a shared home directory for which statd/lockd should be
running... and it's not working on this machine...

it always hangs now when I acquire some lock (not in single user mode though).
I tried for the first time locking a file on a different server and it hung
too. These are files that never existed. And this problem happens only on
this diskless machine, whereas the other problem, the one that occurs on
files that are already locked, happens on all machines.

If I keep using a common home directory for all machines, and keep using
lockd for that mount on that machine, then my only workaround is still to

Miguel

BTW, thank you for your support. And they talk about technical support on
fatly payed operating systems...