Date:      Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:28:46 -0500
From:      Antoine =?utf-8?Q?Beaupr=C3=A9?= <anarcat@koumbit.org>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   is polling still a thing?

(Please CC, as i am not on the list.)

I was surprised to read this article in the pfSense blog:

https://blog.pfsense.org/?p=115

TLDR: "At this time, polling is not recommended at all."

Is that true? I am trying to tweak a Supermicro machine as a router to
survive major DDOS attacks on a 1gbps link. So far, I can't get far
beyond the 100kpps and 50mbps mark.

The hardware is:

 * 2xIntel E1G44HTBLK NICs
 * 1xIntel 1220LV2 CPU

More detailed specs here:

https://wiki.koumbit.net/rtr1.koumbit.net

We are using a stateful pf firewall and polling on the network
interfaces. We got around 100kpps during the DDOS, with 700kpps dropped
(or at least 700k/s errors) on the NIC. The DDOS was apparently 5.5gbps
but around 400mbps reached our port from upstream's point of view. The
kernel interfaces counted around 50mbps:

https://redmine.koumbit.net/attachments/download/7706
https://redmine.koumbit.net/attachments/download/7707
https://redmine.koumbit.net/attachments/download/7708
https://redmine.koumbit.net/attachments/download/7709

The load on the router was fine during the DDOS, but of course packet
loss was endemic.

At this point, I'm considering the following options:

 * switching to an Intel IGB nic
 * enabling fastforwarding
 * tweak the number of IGB queues

Any recommendations would be welcome.

Thanks!

A.

--
feature, n: a documented bug | bug, n: an undocumented feature
                        - Mario S F Ferreira <lioux@FreeBSD.org>