Date:      Fri, 9 Feb 1996 23:10:58 -0800
From:      wes@intele.net
To:        Nate Williams <nate@sri.MT.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Several misc. questions on user mode PPP

Recently, I blathered:
 > Create a script called /etc/start_if.tun0 containing, i.e.:
 >
 > 	#! /bin/sh
 > 	#
 > 	# Script to start ppp daemon in autodialer mode.
 > 	# Wes Peters, 22 Jan 1996.
 > 	#
 > 	echo "Starting PPP link to InteleNET on tun0:" > /dev/console
 > 	ppp -auto intelenet

Nate Williams pointed out:
 % Except that the link won't start w/out a packet going to the remote
 % site.

Oops.  Right.  Add 'ping -i 10 -c 1 intele.net' (or, obviously, some
machine outside your network but close to your PPP router) after the
'ppp -auto' command.  This ping will exit as soon as it receives an
ECHO_RESPONSE packet.

--
   Wes Peters	| Yes I am a pirate, two hundred years too late
    Softweyr 	| The cannons don't thunder, there's nothing to plunder