Date:      Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:48:15 +0100
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        Ben Smithurst <ben@scientia.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: about gview

On Tue, Mar 07, 2000 at 04:44:18PM +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Gunnar Flygt wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Mar 06, 2000 at 08:45:38AM -0800, Jerry Lei wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> When I try to launch gview, but I always get Vim.
> >> I pkg_add gview again. But the problem is still there.
> >
> > what do you really mean. gview IS vim in a grphical window with menus
> > and so on. So you should actually get vim when starting gview!!!
>
> uh, no. Look at graphics/gview port:

I've never installed that one. Pleas (if you've got vim installed) look
at the man page for vim! It installes vim, gvim, gview and more. Hence
my answer!

> gView is a modern image viewer for X Window System. It is based on GTK
> and Imlib and supports most common image formats, JPEG, GIF, TIFF, BMP,
> PPM, XPM, PNG and whatever other image formats your Imlib is configured
> to support.
>
> Doesn't sound like Vim to me. This would seem to be a problem, if two
> ports are fighting over the same file. I'm not sure what should be done
> in that case. :-(

Well fact is. vim installes gview as an symbolic link to vim .Look at
this:

bash-2.03$ which gview
/usr/local/bin/gview
bash-2.03$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/gview
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  3 Nov 14 22:27 /usr/local/bin/gview -> vim

> All I can think is delete /usr/local/bin/gview manually, then pkg_add
> gview. Perhaps the gview port doesn't want to overwrite another port's
> file (gview is a symlink in Vim, maybe that has something to do with it
> too).  Jerry, does that work?
>
> --
> Ben Smithurst / ben@scientia.demon.co.uk / PGP: 0x99392F7D

                           __o