Date:      Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:33:46 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        gbergling@0xfce3.net
Cc:        phk@phk.freebsd.dk, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: wscons for FreeBSD?

In message: <20051027134919.GA858@node26.0xfce3.net>
            Gordon Bergling <gbergling@0xfce3.net> writes:
: Hi,
:
: * Thus spake Poul-Henning Kamp (phk@phk.freebsd.dk):
: > In message <20051027133336.GA740@node26.0xfce3.net>, Gordon Bergling writes:
: > >I am currently working on project, which refactors a lot of FreeBSDs
: > >console code.
: >
: > Sorry for nitpicking, but just to make sure we're clear about what we
: > talk about here:
: >
: > When you say "console", do you mean
: >    "vga+keyboard" ?
: > or
: >    "printf(9) destination" ?
: > or
: >    "/dev/console" ?
: > or all of the above ?
:
: What I mean was 'all of the above'. My projects aims to modernize
: FreeBSDs console in a big picture. That whould range from "simple" vga
: + keyboard to a possible machine indepent framebuffer API.

wscons in NetBSD can be a console (as in /dev/console) destination.
Much like sio(4) can be a console in FreeBSD.  However, it is really a
framework for integrating one or more frame buffers (vga), with zero
or more keyboards and mice into a coherent input system.

It is more of a syscons replacement than a solution to the 'console'
issues that you've been keen on working out.

Warner