Date:      Fri, 5 Jun 1998 08:10:59 -0700
From:      "Jack Velte" <jackv@earthling.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        "phil grainger" <freebsd@pronet.net.au>, <advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   tech support structure

>No, I think it would basically require some sane, reasonable manager
>who could handle the personnel issues and day-to-day minutiae of

most of the WC secretaries that we paid $6 to $14 hour did this.  well.

?

>technical savvy to know how to balance the loads.  That means nobody
>currently employed, and most definitely no one who's ever been

we almost hired soren.  stupid of us not to.

this is really two different functions you describe: secretary and
tech manager.

>> does the medical insurance cover workers outside the immediate
>> geographical region?
>
>You would specifically not employ people under that model (unless they

actually, i Would like to employ people under that model.  working for
freebsd should be like a regular company when it comes to benefits,
but per-job for salary.  the benefits graduate in and out.  a insurance
policy that pays cash should exist.  it might even be attractive if we
have lots of people where medical care is cheap.

i want to outsource as much as possible.  Walnut Creek is fine for
some outsourcing, but should they build a tech support department?
who is going to fund that?  who is going to pay the loss or gain the
profit?  freebsd doesn't have any money right now, not this kind of
money.

i see leasing an office with nice furniture, doing a wide hiring scan
for secretaries and an accountant.  stop.  invest the rest of the
money in mutual funds.  have empty suites for programmers that
want to move in.  free food in the refrigerator.

>were only the most occasional and provable contractors) for exactly
>this reason, another being that "remote support" is really not
>something which actually works in practice as nicely and conveniently

i know.

>as it may appear on paper.  Perhaps it's something which could prove
>workable in small doses once the organization is big enough to need a
>few "big guns" who are simply remote consultants on tap, but at least

i see the cheaper people being more cost effective to out-source.  the
techs might get paid high per minute wages (based on the phone
records and self-reports and some boundary conditions),
provided with benefits and
pager or cell phone.  they have to check in to a software
dispatcher periodically to be on call for work.  they are graded on their
reliability when on call and their response time when called.  10% of
pay scale.  longevity 10%.  ability 10%.  ?  then they call the customer,
so we need a comprehensive phone contract.  there's a call-back,
but some goal should be monitored and established.  centralized
customer feedback polling.  then, the techs lobby for traveling, when
we can't find someone close to visit, with negotiated expenses paid.
so that would be fun.  i'd like to keep the labor G&A at around 2%,
not 15 or 30%.

what do you think about free education as a benefit?

>the beginning days of the organization, while everyone is still
>finding their way, the bulk of the organization's tech support would
>have to be done by one team under one roof.  This is the only way to

that's the way it's always been done, mostly.  but the phone system
*could* ring numbers outside of the building, with a little programming.
[is there a Nortel Meridan Option 11 programmer out there?

>ensure that they communicate with one another and that the developers
>also working on the premises can see first-hand which issues are the
>most pressing ones for technical support.  I'd also expect the tech

hasn't this data been gathered for years?

ok, i have freebsd on my other hard disk and i can't get it to work
right.  so people need a second computer from gateway with
freebsd proloaded and perfectly set up.  this deal should be doable.
1000 units / m 200000 revenue 25k profit.  freebsd, inc should
get a good cheap gateway and send it around then send it back.

>support team to put some time into hacking on the tech support
>computing infrastructure itself, essentially building their own tools
>for supporting the whole mess as they go along, and that takes a team
>which can periodically meet face-to-face to plan strategy.

yes.  i like the virtual organization.

it would be cool if we could roll out a global support network.

-jack