Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2007 19:32:59 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Daniel Bye <dan@slightlystrange.org>
Subject:   Re: x11/xorg update.

On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 08:33:07PM +0100, Daniel Bye wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
> >On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 11:17:43PM +1000, Norberto Meijome wrote:

> >>this probably was due to your old xorg.conf having the wrong paths in it.
> >>The
> >>errors should be pretty obvious, otherwise using xorgcfg should make a
> >>good one
> >>and you can, at least, use it to compare the differences.
> >

> >	Ah, this is the new scriptthat creates xorg.conf, correct?
> >	A bit easier than typing X -configure and messing with the
> >	/root files.  What I don't understand is all the output about
> >	missing modules to stderr.  ...but .... ... .
>
> Which modules does it say are missing? I went through a very similar
> situation earlier today, where the X log file reported that mouse and
> kbd modules were not found.

	Yes, the err mentioned something about the mouse as well. I
	figured the file would stay in /var/log/dgm/ so I didn't save.
	I had planned to go back and grab the error output and re-create
	the stderr's from the   X -configure.  But when everything had
	been portupgraded (-aP),  everything Just Worked.  The error file
	was missing, and I launched full-tilt into getting thngs back up.

> A bit of dragging through the ports tree,
> and I found that they are installed as ports in their own right these
> days. I'm not certain why they didn't get installed as part of the huge
> Xorg upgrade as detailed in UPDATING, but installing them by hand made
> the errors go away.

	For me, I had to re portupgrade -aP at least four times.  Maybe
	last night was the 5th.  And the symlink script took several runs
	before tehrer was in /usr, X11R6 -> /usr/local  ...

> So, the moral of the story is, I suppose, if you're happy that all your
> paths are correct in your xorg.conf, and that you have followed Kris'
> upgrade instructions, try looking for an individual port that installs
> the missing module.

	I will run xorgcfg (sp?) and another X -configure in, oh, 30
	years.  Next time I powercycle the new server :-)  No missing
	modules tihs time, thankfully.

	We've had it relatively easy, as users, I think.  I's beeen on
	the other side, so hat's off to the ports guys.

	gary