Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 19:37:15 -0600
From:      Gary <medmanks@mindspring.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Basic stuff

Hello all,

I am extremely new to FreeBSD, in fact, have not even purchased it
yet.  Background is in Linux, and schooling at the Univ on HP-UX, I
feel just as comfortable with the console as with a GUI.  I have been
reading about FreeBSD and it has an outstanding reputation on many
levels.  My needs are small - workstation and house network, with
maybe a web server later on. I am currently running SuSE.

Questions, can I use many of my Linux based rpms in BSD?  I guess you
folks call them porting, or some such. Also, is there support for
WinTV (bttv) in the GUI. I just joined the group, and am unsure how to
run the Linux end of it, if need be.  I would sincerely appreciate the
basics, as to what can be ported over from Linux in terms of programs
(although I must say, that on many occasions, I have seen builds for
FreeBSD), and whether the newer GUIs are supported, etc.  Any help is
sincerely appreciated.  I guess, I am trying to get a handle on
FreeBSD, other than using it for an excellent web server, but rather
more in the scope of everyday business use with WordPerfect,
StarOffice, maybe MySQL, a mail and fax server, using a NIC card to
network to a couple other computers, NFS, etc. I don't know if you
have an something similar to SAMBA, or is it SAMBA?

		Thanks for your help.

--
Best regards,
Gary

Today's thought: BREAKFAST.COM Halted - Cereal port not responding.