Date:      Tue, 06 Jan 1998 08:27:08 -0800
From:      Ron Rosson <insane@oneinsane.net>
To:        Anthony Hill <ahill@blacksun.net.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Traffic accounting and stats.

You could get bpf2.0.tar.gz. it has trafshow, trafstat and a few other
toys that would get you the info that you wanted. At the moment with a
little shell scripting that I did I now keep a weeks worth of logs of
what goes in/out my tun0 from my small little home network. Using it and
mrtg pointing to all machines (SNMP), I can see where people have been
and what bandwidth of my precious modem they have used. If you need any
help finding these programs or more info on this further just drop a line

Ron

At 08:16 PM 1/5/98 -0800, Doug White wrote:
>On Mon, 5 Jan 1998, Anthony Hill wrote:
>
>> I am using 2.2.1-RELEASE as a router to route between my ~15 host
>> LAN and the async ppp link to my ISP. I would like to get detailed traffic
>> stats for each host on the network.
>>
>> ie. how much traffic went from LAN machine A to LAN machine B. How much
>> went from LAN machine C out over the ppp link. How much traffic came
>> in over the ppp link to LAN machine D. etc etc.
>>
>> Any idea how to go about this ?
>>
>> It would also be REALLY cool if I could tell what the composition of the
>> traffic was. ie 50% of the externally sourced traffic destined for LAN
>> machine E was TCP on port 80, and the rest was TCP on port 23.
>>
>> Please reply to this email address, as I dont have access to news, and
>> I dont contribute enough to warrant a subscription to the mailing list.
>
>ipfw can be set up to log this type of information.
>
>Doug White                              | University of Oregon
>Internet:  dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu    | Residence Networking Assistant
>http://gladstone.uoregon.edu/~dwhite    | Computer Science Major

Ron Rosson              ... and a UNIX user said ...
rlr@n2.net                        rm -rf *
insane@oneinsane.net      and all was null and void