Date:      Sun, 04 Apr 1999 17:28:59 +1000
From:      Stephen McKay <syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org, crh@outpost.co.nz, syssgm@detir.qld.gov.au
Subject:   Re: video and sound card recommendations?

On Friday, 2nd April 1999, "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:

>I guess what I'm really asking is whether or not Direct 3D gives you
>gamers the same access to per-pixel MIP mapping, tri-linear filtering,
>fog, transparency and other sorts of features that the 3DFX provides.
>Those are often what I first notice in a game which is "obviously
>running on the 3DFX" and what still seems to be lacking from games
>which use the somewhat more generic Direct3D API.  Or has this
>situation changed and I just haven't noticed yet? :)

Microsoft's baby is up to version 6.1 and seems to actually work now.
Of course it took them years to catch up, and there was no point doing
it since OpenGL was just fine as it was.  But, it's here now, and I
wager that if Id switched from OpenGL to Direct3D, OpenGL would instantly
die.  Bummer and all that, but I'll take money on it.

As to whether Direct3D works, I have a Voodoo2 and a Matrox G200 in the
same box.  Half Life looks wonderful on the G200 (DirectX) and wonderful
on the Voodoo2 (glide), to the point where I can't tell which is which
without cheating (the Voodoo2 is a little darker by default).

So expect Direct3D to dispose of glide and OpenGL like so many other things
that Microsoft has steamrolled over.  It will make your consumer purchases
easier, and we all want that, right? ;-)

Stephen.