Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 15:34:51 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikko Tyolajarvi <mikko@dynas.se>
To:        john@drexeltech.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Getting DSL for FreeBSD?

In local.freebsd-questions you write:

>At 10:17 PM 8/7/2000 -0500, David J. Kanter wrote:

>>I'm thinking of getting a DSL but am a bit confused on what to ask the
>>companies to ensure that the line will work with FreeBSD. I assume that even
>>if they don't advertise it to work with FreeBSD, in some cases it probably
>>does.

>DSL works with any OS.  The output of any DSL modem/router/bridge is a
>standard RJ-45 Ethernet jack (at least, it should be this way in the
>USA).  This will plug into any network card.

>Non-windows users who want DSL merely need:

>1) a working network card
>2) the ability to change the IP address bound to that network card

>>If a company doesn't explicitly advertise "works with UNIX" (Telocity is the
>>only one I've seen that does this), what questions can I ask that will
>>convince me that it does?

>It works.  Period.  There are no DSL drivers or anything like that.  It's a

[...]

Unfortunately, that does not always seem to be true.  Some companies
use PPPoE (PPP over ethernet) as their DSL service, which requires
some setup of "ppp" on FreeBSD.

AFAIK network install of FreeBSD over PPPoE is not supported.

     /Mikko
--
 Mikko Työläjärvi_______________________________________mikko@rsasecurity.com
 RSA Security