Date:      Sat, 21 Oct 2006 01:13:16 +0100
From:      Joe Holden <joe@joeholden.co.uk>
To:        Bo Briggs <rcbdyndns@bellsouth.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Please do not use spamcop to block email

--------------enig2924EDDBE5391666724BF3CC

Bo Briggs wrote:
> I received this, and
>=20
> Reason: Service unavailable; Client host [205.152.59.64] blocked using =
bl.spamcop.net; Blocked - see http://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml?205.152.59.=
64
>=20
> this is the bellsouth.net mail server.
>=20
> I respect the rdnsbl's, but please use spamcop as a filter, use cbl.abu=
seat.org if you want accurate results. Anyone can place an IP on a blackl=
ist with a couple of reports to spamcop, and as I remember, it takes 24 h=
ours before the block is in place.
>=20
> I've run a few mail servers before, and I do use the rdnsbl's, but spam=
cop is only used as a filter.
>=20
> Please reconsider using this as an absolute block.
>=20
Valid points, however you should be asking your isp why they're on there
in the first place.  I know its not as simple as that as I run several
mail clusters myself, but its not the responsibility of mailing lists to
ensure mail isn't blocked from what is listed in the rbl's. Alternative
is to use your own mailserver, and not a widely abused isp mailserver.

Ta,