Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:44:34 +1100
From:      Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>
Cc:        jehamby@lightside.com (Jake Hamby), hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: boot messages (Was: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?)

On Sun, 16 Feb 1997 11:05:30 +1100 (EDT)  Darren Reed wrote:

> Another take on starting up is HP-UX 10.  Being SVR4, it has run levels
> and start/stop scripts.  HP have added "startmsg" and "stopmsg" to all
> their scripts, so that when you boot, it prints a menu type listing and
> displays "OK", "BUSY", "N/A", "FAIL" in the little check box for each
> rc script.

When everything works, it is quite pretty.  Syslog messages to the
console and anything that talks directly to /dev/tty make a mess of
it.  A "splash screen" is really going to have to be graphical to work
reliably.

Does anyone have a nice banner for xdm with the FreeBSD logo?  This is
another way to present a more "professional" appearance with low
impact to the existing code.

I had thought that HP had wasted their money on the pretty boot
code(*).  I should know better; I always try to print management
graphs in colour.

Regards,

Giles

* I'd have preferred a fixed up lpsched, for example, or IP aliases in
  a different subnet, or a 'status' option to mt, or even a -a flag
  for ifconfig.

  Or perl5 in /usr/contrib, or tcpd, or a http daemon, or a COPS run
  before they cut the distribution CD, or support for IPFilter, or
  ... world peace, maybe. :)