Date:      Sat, 26 May 2001 17:56:44 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Andrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        <stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: digital camera

RAndrew Gordon <arg@arg1.demon.co.uk> types:
> On Fri, 18 May 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> > I don't know about MemoryStick, but SmartMedia is a nightmare. The
> > interface is proprietary, and ugly. You write magic values to sector
> > zero to make blocks appear in sector 1, or some such. That it uses
> > SmartMedia instead of CompactFlash is one of my few problems with my
> > Olympus. That they gave me a SmartMedia->Floppy disk adaptor doesn't
> > really help much.
> I don't know why you say SmartMedia is proprietary.  The media itself is

Because none of the three or four people I found working on drivers
knew about this:

> The spec for this is available from:
> http://www.ssfdc.or.jp/spec/index_e.htm

Or at least, I assume that's the layer that documents how you go about
reading blocks off the device, which is what they were all trying to
figure out by reverse engineering the devices they had.

> I use a "FujiFilm Image Memory Card Reader, model SM-R1", which works
> fairly well under FreeBSD (I'm using 4.3-R).

The first one I tried - Sandisk, because the CF Sandisk reader was
reported as working - didn't work at all. Got any hints on where I can
find one of these things? Do you happen to know if the SM-R2 - which
is what Fuji seems to be selling now - will also work?

	Thanx,
	<mike