Date:      Thu, 5 Jul 2001 14:14:01 -0500
From:      steve.d.meacham@mail.sprint.com
To:        ale@unixmania.net, steve.d.meacham@mail.sprint.com
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: ie ethernet device driver

--openmail-part-48f87fe9-00000001

You're right.  The driver is still listed in a number of places
including man, LINT, the source, etc.

However, it is unusable because it has been removed from isa_compat.h
so it cannot be recognized by the OS.  In addition, there is an
intermittent bug (PR 16214) with the driver.  There is a fix available
that fixes both of these problems:

http://www.jfitz.com/tips/freebsd_etherexpress16.html

It modifies the following files, which are the culprits for the current
lack of support for the ie driver:

/usr/src/sys/dev/ie/if_ie.c and
/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/isa_compat.h

The fix works great and I've had no issues with the machines running
it, even though I put a fairly heavy load on both of them for network
services.

Steven