Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 2015 13:23:12 +0530
From:      Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
To:        "freeb >> User Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   why does tar archive directory differently based on command line?

Hi,

I am having problems trying to understand why does tar archive
differently with the following 2 commands, presuming xyz is a
sub-directory :

tar -c -f - ./xyz | gzip > xyz.tar.gz//xyz nested one level under . and ..
tar -c -f - xyz   | gzip > xyz.tar.gz//no . or ..

With the first invocation, I get a top-level nesting that just has . and ..
With the second, I get a top-level nesting that has xyz, which is much
preferable

The first invocation leads to an absurdity that you have to cd into .
(sounds recursively impossible) to actually get to xyz

Thanks for any help.

--
Regards,

Manish Jain