Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 14:22:49 -0400
From:      Paul Chvostek <paul@it.ca>
To:        Edwin Culp <eculp@EnContacto.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Server recommendation for co-location.

Hi Edwin.

I've been using vinum for years to run various levels of RAID.  I'm not
in your "unlimited cash" position; my requirements are usually pretty
severely tempered by finances.

Right at the moment, I've got a vinum RAID10 system that consists of
four 40GB UDMA100 drives on a 300MHz P-II.  The system handles about
15000 mailboxes, running an average of about 40000 unique emails per
day (not counting inbound attempts from places on a dnsbl).

Another system is a Pentium-166 overclocked to 187MHz with a single
Adaptec 2940 with five wide 18GB disks in it.  The machine serves up
web pages for about 300 domains, pushing an average of about 400Kbps
of traffic.

I have "forced" single drive failures on both machines to experiment
with vinum's behaviour.  With the RAID10, I was able to shut down the
machine and replace the pulled drive with a blank spare, and when the
box rebooted, vinum rand the drives for a while to resync, and then
everything was back to normal.  Similar story on the box with the SCSI
RAID5, only I was ablt to shut off and replace the drive without
rebooting the server courtesy of camcontrol(8).

For this kind of volume I really don't need UW160 and platters that
spin at 10krpm.  Sure, Internet services take lots of disk IO if you're
really popular, but with enough memory and SOFTUPDATES running, I really
don't see the need to go overboard.  YMMV.

If you want to put together your own hardware, I'm partial to the cases
sold by General Technics at http://gtweb.net/.