Date:      Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:20:17 +0100 (MET)
From:      Martin Heller <heller@informatik.uni-freiburg.de>
To:        Stuart Krivis <stuart@apk.net>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: alpha PC

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Stuart Krivis wrote:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 1999, Andrew Gallatin wrote:
>
> >  > I've tried to install both FreeBSD and OpenBSD but
> >  > I face problems with the BIOS. Indeed the machines
> >  > have Alpha BIOS instead SRM. The present configuration
> >  > is able to run both Linux (running right now) and
> >  > Windows NT. Under Linux the system starts from MILO.
> >  >
> > Here are instructions.  They assume you purchased the systems with SRM
> > and they were accidentally shipped with the AlphaBios (or else you
> > might be violating a license).  You may want to verify that you have a
>
> I don't think that there are any license issues involved. DEC makes ARC
> and SRM available on their web site and it seems that anyone with an Alpha
> is free to use them.
Nope, for SRM you should have (normally) a license to use it.

 > I am also puzzled as to why *BSD wouldn't work with ARC. ARC is just
> another way of calling the boot loader. MILO for Linux works with either
> ARC or SRM.

Nope, ARC is NOT another way of calling the boot loader. ARC, SRM, and
MILO are FIRMWARE. You don't boot linux directly from ARC or AlphaBIOS,
you use MILO to boot the kernel. ARC/AlphaBIOS is currently in most parts
32-Bit opposed to SRM/MILO completely 64-bit.

M. Heller