Date:      Wed, 21 Apr 1999 21:07:34 +0200 (SAST)
From:      Khetan Gajjar <khetan@chain.freebsd.os.org.za>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow

Hi.

I'm running 4-current (updated yesterday), but I've had this problem for
a while (well over a year).

I get these errors
Apr 21 20:55:00 chain /kernel: de0: abnormal interrupt: transmit underflow
whenever I try to transfer things to or from my network.
The card is a SMC, and is probed as
de0: <Digital 21041 Ethernet> at device 11.0 on pci0
de0: interrupting at irq 5
de0: SMC 21041 [10Mb/s] pass 1.1
de0: address 00:00:c0:f9:2f:c8

I have tried shifting the card to another PCI bus, I've tried
ifconfig de0 down, ifconfig de0 up, but this doesn't solve the
problem. I've pretty much tried all the suggestions that other
people have suggested, except for (obviously) replacing the card.
I don't think the card is dead, because it works perfectly for small
files.

Does anyone have any suggestions ? The problems occur whenever
I transfer anything other than small files (ie greater than 100k)
either to or from the client PC's to the FreeBSD machine.

The collision light on the hub also goes on. Could it be the ether
cable from the PC to the hub ? It's about 10-15m in length,
so I haven't replaced it because that would entail ordering another
length, which I haven't had time to do.

netstat -i reveals
Name  Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll
de0   1500  <Link>      00.00.c0.f9.2f.c8    23420     0    21720   805   826
de0   1500  freebsd-net/2 fence              23420     0    21720   805   826

after half an hour of trying to ftp install FreeBSD from the FreeBSD
machine to one of the PC's. I killed it because it was averaging 2.2k/s,
and it would have been faster for me to dial out and download it.

The network is quite simple :

                                            (1m)
                                            ---> PC (3COM)
	            ethernet cable        - (1m)
FreeBSD PC  (SMC) ------------------> hub -----> PC (RealTek)
                     (10m)                - (1m)
                                            ---> PC (NE2000 clone)

Any takers ? TIA.
---
Khetan Gajjar       (!kg1779) * khetan@os.org.za
http://khetan.os.org.za/      * Talk/Finger khetan@khetan.os.org.za
FreeBSD enthusiast            * http://www2.za.freebsd.org/
Security-wise, NT is a OS with a "kick me" sign taped to it