Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 15:26:11 -0500
From:      parv <parv_@yahoo.com>
To:        mheyes@lincolnfp.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cycling X

in message <OFBF90BAA4.0EA8A6AE-ON05256B3A.00481ABD@lincolnfp.com>,
wrote mheyes@lincolnfp.com thusly...

> I'm running FreeBSD 4.4, tracking stable, with X 4.1. I managed to get my
> box into a state where it tries to start XDM, fails and drops to terminal,
> then tries to restart XDM, rapidly, over and over. I can't start a virtual
> terminal, can't kill XDM.

do hard reboot; boot in single user mode.

if fsck doesn't run, then, by itself, do it by hand, say "fsck -p".

mount / in read-write mode.  if needed, any other filesystem, too.

then edit appropriate file which starts xdm, /etc/ttys is one
possibility, to disable automatic start of xdm.

reboot in multiuser mode.

solve your xdm related problems; enable xdm again.

optionally, reboot again.

 - parv