Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 09:41:34 -0700
From:      bmah@freebsd.org (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Cc:        doc@freebsd.org, nik@freebsd.org, bmah@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Relnotes on the web site

--==_Exmh_-77323666P

If memory serves me right, Dima Dorfman wrote:

> Some random notes:

Some random comments...

> 	- When RELNOTESng is MFC'd to releng_4, it would be nice to have the
> 	  src/release/doc for current be side by side with the src/release/doc
> 	  for stable.  I.e., have on directory named 'relnotes-current' and
> 	  another 'relnotes-stable'.  The names themselves or their position
> 	  relative to www/en are of no concern (of course, someone has to
> 	  tell me).

I'd like to do the MFC once things settle down a bit first and we know
that the Web site build works, etc.  We're not *quite* there yet.

> 	- At the beginning, building the relnotes with the web site should
> 	  probably be optional; i.e., conditional on some make variable
> 	  being set (like we have WEB_ONLY).  If we want to do this (and I
> 	  think we should), someone will also have to arrange for that to be
> 	  set on freefall for the web build.
> 	- I don't know how mirrors want to or can deal with this.  Nothing
> 	  will stop them from building the relnotes as well, but I guess it
> 	  shouldn't be requied, at least not at first.  Bruce?  Comments?

I'd like to strongly encourage the mirrors to pick this up.  After the
necessary changes get made to freefall and a short settling period, I am
going to cvs rm the *.TXT files in -CURRENT and make RELNOTESng the
default for -CURRENT release builds.

Couple of food-for-thought items:

1.  We might want to put some suitable HTML text in www/en/relnotes to
point browsers at the different documents available.  For the moment,
we can navigate the directory tree, which shouldn't be fatal.  :-)

2.  Note that INSTALL.TXT (aka INSTALL.PDF, INSTALL.HTM) on the release
disks is really generated out of a directory called "installation"
(having a document subdirectory called "install" causes the build to
fall over).  There's a hack in src/release/Makefile to do
this transformation.  I am not recommending that we do this for the
Web site RELNOTESng, but I thought I'd point this out.

This looks great to me...somebody please get this in place so I can nuke
old RELNOTES!  :-)

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-77323666P

--==_Exmh_-77323666P--