Date:      Sat, 19 Feb 2000 02:39:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bryan Liesner <bleez@netaxs.com>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Big ATA problems

The latest ata commits left my system completely unbootable.  No disks
were probed.

I have on the motherboard's Alladin controller:
HP 4x4x24 CD burner as master primary channel
40x CD as slave primary channel
HP Colorado 8 Gig ATAPI tape as master secondary channel

On a Promise Ultra66:
WDC AC29100D
WDC AC32500H
each on thier own channel.

Here are the boot messages (I had to write them down)
ata0-slave: WARNING: WAIT_INTR active=ATA_WAIT_READY
ata0-slave: timeout waiting for intr
ata0-slave: identify failed

these were repeated once

and when attempting to mount /
no devsw(msgdev=0 bootdev=0xa200000)
no such device 'ad'

Prior the the commit, the motherboard ide controllers were numbered
ata0,1 and the Promise was ata2,3.

After the commit it is switched around.  Now the controllers probe as
Promise ata0,1 and the motherboard as ata2,3.

Bryan