Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 21:51:16 GMT
From:      jbg@masterplan.org (Jason George)
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: News Server

>> How hard would it be to set up a standalone news server specifically for
>> FreeBSD, not connected to usenet in any way?
>
>That's sort of what the atomic playboy (great name BTW!) site has
>done, I believe.
>
>- Jordan

That's exactly what is it.

This box is on a dedicated and fast SDSL line, but until I got my
cablemodem recently, my access from home to mail and news was largely
via UUCP-over-TCP on a 28.8.

Instead of going through the hassle of setting up a proper news feed, I
just grab the small number of groups that I want from my upstream
provider.  I use the suck port to do this.  I rarely post, so a back
channel isn't all that critical to me.

Because forwarding the FreeBSD lists via UUCP home would be evil
(especially on a dial-on-demand setup) and because I hate having to
continuously clean my in-box, I hunted around for some other mechanism.
The gated lists are the end result.  Articles are added within about 2
seconds of hitting my alias file.

There are a few caveats about the NNTP version of the lists.

1) I'm missing about 5MB of the ~75MB I've gated since September.  This
was due to inews chucking articles that quoted too much and added too
little.  This wasn't a big concern for me.  I recompiled inews and nnrpd
without that option this morning, so everything from here on in should
be a-ok.

2) Not all the lists are gated.  This can be corrected, of course.

3) The scripts do not like cross-posts at all.  Only one group will get
the post.  Anyone wanting to hack the code to correct this should
contact me.  I don't have the time or resources to do this.

I'd like some feedback on the performance of this setup.  The box is
routed into a 2Mbit SDSL line which is a handful of hops and a T-3 away
from Sprint's Cheyenne, Wyoming POP.  The actual location is in
Edmonton, Alberta in western Canada, where it is snowing fairly heavily,
and where the temperature will have dropped from just below freezing
yesterday to below -30C by Thursday.  Offers to save me from the Frozen
Northern Wasteland are encouraged!  ;-)

Anyone wanting to yard down the groups to their own server is more than
welcome.  Please just inform me that you're going to be doing it, and
please do it off-business hours Mountain (GMT-7).

--Jason
j.b.george<at>ieee.org
jbg<at>masterplan.org