Date:      27 Apr 1998 17:21:32 +0200
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling Coidan =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net>
Cc:        Tommy Hallgren <md6tommy@mdstud.chalmers.se>, "Pedro F. Giffuni" <giffunip@asme.org>, bjc23@hermes.cam.ac.uk, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Andreessen: Linux use growing

jack <jack@germanium.xtalwind.net> writes:
> On Mon, 27 Apr 1998, Tommy Hallgren wrote:
> > On Sun, 26 Apr 1998, Pedro F. Giffuni wrote:
> > > Windows 95 is not an OS because it still runs on "top" of DOS, M$
> > > doesn't admit, but I would not consider it a technicality.
> > Ridiculous! Windows 95 uses only the BIOS/DOS when native code cannot
> > be used. Even FreeBSD uses the BIOS for certain things, are you saying
> > that FreeBSD isn't an OS because of that?
> Where did Pedro say anything about the BIOS?  Show me a Windows95
> kernel.  The kernel is DOS.  Windows[x.x/9x] is a SHELL.  Someone
> has even had Win95 running on OS/2's DOS.

As much as I dislike WindowsXX, I have to disagree with you. Give
Microsoft *some* credit. Windows 3.1 in standard mode is a shell.
Windows 3.1x in extended mode (or running with the Win32s extensions)
as well as Windows 95 and Windows NT have many of the characteristics
of an operating system.

And as to that OS/2 thing, I used to know this Someone person, but he
had a nasty habit of handwaving questions about the reliability of his
sources, so we don't see eachother much anymore.

--
Noone else has a .sig like this one.