Date:      Sat, 19 Mar 2011 09:09:30 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Updating our TCP and socket sysctl values...

On 03/19/2011 00:37, George Neville-Neil wrote:
> I believe it's time for us to upgrade our sysctl values for TCP sockets so that
> they are more in line with the modern world.  At the moment we have these limits on
> our buffering:
>
> kern.ipc.maxsockbuf: 262144
> net.inet.tcp.recvbuf_max: 262144
> net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_max: 262144
>
> I believe it's time to up these values to something that's in line with higher speed
> local networks, such as 10G.  Perhaps it's time to move these to 2MB instead of 256K.
>
> Thoughts?

So long as these can be tuned down to the lower end for memory
constrained environments, that's fine.  In general, I believe that the
project has aimed to having the tunables in the system optimized for the
fastest hardware, while being usable on the last few generations of
hardware and tunable, where possible, for the older hardware.

Warner