Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:44:35 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Cor Hilbrink" <cor@hilbrink.nl>
Cc:        <freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Graphical card Alpha DS10l supported under X11??

Cor Hilbrink writes:
 > Hello.
 >
 > For the moment we are trying to install a DS10L with FreeBSD for Alpha.
 > This machine contains a Elsa Gloria Synergy-8 video adapter, does anyone know how to configure X?
 > We tried several cardtypes, but thusfar we didn't suceed to get XWindows running properly.
 >
 > I hope that anyone can tell us a bit more how this can be solved.

You failed to mention what version of FreeBSD you're using, what
version of the XFree86 distro you're using & what the trouble is.
Without this informaiton, there's not a lot anybody here can do to
help you, other than to make general suggestion.

If you're using XFree86 3.x, note that (as David O'Brien pointed out):

   The "graphical" XFree86 configuration program -- XF86Setup program
   *requires* the VGA16 server.  This server does NOT build on the
   Alpha.  Not just FreeBSD/alpha, but AlphaLinux and Tru86 also.

   The issue with using the text-only xf86config is that it does not
   know about moused's sysmouse.  Thus you either cannot use moused,
   or you must hack the /etc/XF86Config file xf86config creates to
   specify sysmouse.

Note that you'll want to use the XF86_3DLabs Xserver under XF86 3.x

For what its worth, I just built XF86 4.1.0 from ports & the XServer
for the AGP Elsa Gloria Synergy card seems to work just fine
on my UP1000.  I'm not sure what the trailing -8 of your card
signifies.

I hope this random smattering of information is somewhat helpful.

BTW, please don't post html on the freebsd mailing lists.

Cheers,

Drew