Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2010 21:29:15 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   VirtualBox: BIOS reports invalid number of disks.

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF

Hi.

I wanted to test booting off of ZFS/RAIDZ in VirtualBox, but
unfortunately it didn't work. After looking a bit deeper it looks like
VirtualBox's BIOS reports that there is only one disk present.
If I choose to ignore number of disks reportd by BIOS, it seems to work
fine. I manage to make it work with the following patch, which just
assumes there are more disks and stops looking for them one first
failure:

	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/bios_numdrives.patch

This seems to be a bug in VirtualBox, but I'm more familiar with FreeBSD
code...

It also make me to think if VirtualBox's BIOS is the only one broken out
there. Maybe patch like this is useful in general? Before ZFS we never
needed more than one disk to boot, so maybe we didn't notice more broken
BIOSes?

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--h31gzZEtNLTqOjlF