Date:      Mon, 8 Feb 1999 21:49:22 -0800
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@ca.sandia.gov>
To:        Greg Black <gjb@comkey.com.au>, Mirror Beastie <rudi@askas.co.za>
Cc:        Andrzej Szydlo <andrzej@freebsd.org.pl>, "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, bmah@ca.sandia.gov
Subject:   Re: multiple networked X sessions

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

[resent due to pilot error, sorry, gjb!]

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 06:24:05AM +1000, Greg Black wrote:

> > Ok - this i already know - this is just standard x stuff where you
> > see the visual component of an application running elsewhere -
> > what i want is something a little different - from my X Window
> > Manager I want to launch a "window" that contains the entire
> > window manager on another X enabled host.  For example i have 2
> > FBSD boxes, bith running X.  On box 1 I start X then I start
> > another application / process that gives me my X display under box
> > 2 - not just an application - the whole thing... kinda like a
> > vistual telnet...  snip...

> Your terminology is a bit fuzzy here, so it's difficult to know
> what you mean.  If you want to have the xdm (or equivalent) on
> the other host run in a window on the first host, you can't do
> that.  But why would you want it anyway?

One reason might be that you've got a bunch of windows on a machine in
one location (at work, say), and you somewhere else (home, perhaps)
and you want to be able to access all of those same windows remotely.

One solution for this is vnc, which is in the ports collection
at:

/usr/ports/net/vnc

One problem: The port is broken because the distfile just moved...I
just filed a PR with a patch for this.  But you can get more info at:

http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Basically, it provides a pseudo-X display where you can run
applications.  You then run VNC viewers (available for many different
platforms) that let you see the display and use your mouse and
keyboard.

Bruce.

PS.  Should you have a need to remote a Windoze screen, you can do
that too.

--DocE+STaALJfprDB

--DocE+STaALJfprDB--