Date:      Mon, 19 Aug 2002 21:48:02 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mark <maxiter@inetu.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   bridge(4)

I'm running into some problems with bridge(4) under FreeBSD 4.6.1-p10 and
4.6.2.  I've also tried some earlier (4.4, 4.3) with the same result.
I've seen the same results with PicoBSD.

I've tried both fxp and xl (3c905 and 3c980) cards with the same result
across the board. I've reproduced the result over and over and across
multiple boxes and hardware (Asus/Via and Intel/Intel mobo/chipsets).

When I bring up the bridge and start pushing traffic through, I see all
the traffic as expected (on xl0).  However, on xl1 (which traffic should
be bridged to), I see a loss of about 98% of traffic.

Output of a 'netstat -i' shows very few errors (only from the initial tx
underrun when the link is brought up), zero collisions, but a disgusting
disparity in ipkts on xl0 vs. opkts on xl1.

The same ratio loss occurs if the link is lightly or heavily utilized.  I
know it shouldn't be a problem as I have another box running agrus and
capturing 15,000 pps with 0% loss.

I've used bridge(4) extensively in the past with and without combinations
of ipfw and dummynet and encountered no problems.  I'm confident I'm not
missing anything obvious.

I'd appreciate any suggestions anybody has.

TIA!