Date:      Mon, 19 Jun 1995 20:48:10 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@halloran-eldar.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Crypto code - an architectural proposal.

> > I am actually having quite a hard time working out what the difference
> > is between libdescrypt and libcipher. Could you enlighten me please?
> > (I was of a mind to trash libcipher, as it seems superfluous.)
>
> Easy.  libdescrypt is the UNIX one-way password hash function,
> implemented in a way that I believe is likely to be exportable.
> libcipher is all the other entry points which were traditionally
> associated with the UNIX `crypt' function, and which are not
> exportable because they can be used to perform encryption and
> decryption; this includes things like `setkey' and `encrypt'.

Isn't it amazing what `nm' can tell you? Sheesh - I should have done
that first!

Now (says he, fishing for information) why were folks so cagey with me
and Geoff Rehmet back in the 386bsd PatchKit days, when a patchkit was
supplied without a crypt.c, so we could make our own? AFAIK this crypt.c's
only entry point was crypt, so that puts it in the same class as our
current libdescrypt. Why was/is this a problem? Is it just a lack of
clarity in the laws?

Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa
+27 21 61-3768 GMT+0200