Date:      Sun, 26 Feb 2012 02:42:08 +0100
From:      Jerome Herman <jherman@dichotomia.fr>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installing Samsung CLX-2160 color laser printer on USB using CUPS

On 25/02/2012 22:14, Polytropon wrote:
> [...]
> supposed to be used for installing a printer works.
>
> The "Add Printer" button leads to this:
>

> Add Printer
> -----------
>               Local Printers:
> Discovered Network Printers:
>       Other Network Printers: o Internet Printing Protocol (http)
>                               o Internet Printing Protocol (ipp)
>                               o LPD/LPR Host or Printer
>                               o AppSocket/HP JetDirect
>                               [ Continue ]
>
> No local printers can be selected (even though the
> printer is connected, switched on and woken up).
>

> And "Find New Printers" shows this:
>

> Available Printers
> ------------------
> No printers found.
>

> Excellent auto detection. :-)
>

> The corresponding device for the printer is this:
>
> ulpt0:<Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd. CLX-216x Series,
> 	class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2>  on usbus4
> ulpt0: using bi-directional mode
>
> ugen4.2:<CLX-216x Series Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.>
> 	at usbus4, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=HIGH (480Mbps) pwr=ON
>
> crw-rw----  1 root  cups    0, 142 Feb 25 21:42 /dev/ulpt0
>
> I have installed all packages I can imagine:
>
> 	cups-1.4.6
> 	cups-base-1.4.6_6
> 	cups-client-1.4.6
> 	cups-image-1.4.6
> 	cups-pstoraster-8.15.4_6
> 	gutenprint-cups-5.2.4_2
> 	foo2zjs-20110609
> 	foomatic-db-20090530_2
> 	foomatic-db-engine-4.0.7,2
> 	gutenprint-foomatic-5.2.4_2
> 	foo2zjs-20110609
>
> I also have the CLX-216xsplc.ppd PPD file available
> which I think I'd like to hand over to CUPS somewhere.
>
> ALTERNATIVE: If someone could explain how it's easier
> to make a lpr filter (for the system's printer service),
> I'd also appreciate this.
>
> I've already tried this:
>
> 	# foo2xqx-wrapper cupstest.ps>  cupstest.xqx
> 	# cat cupstest.xqx>  /dev/ulpt0
>
> It causes the LED of the printer to blink, but nothing is
> printed, even though the printer startes to make sounds
> (involving the print mechanism, but not the sheet feeder).
>
> If I use
>
> 	# foo2qpdl-wrapper cupstest.ps>  cupstest.xqx
> 	# cat cupstest.xqx>  /dev/ulpt0
>
> the CUPS test page is printed, but not in color (only b/w).
> After looking into the manpage,
>
> 	# foo2qpdl-wrapper -p 2 -c cupstest.ps>  cupstest.xqx
> 	# cat cupstest.xqx>  /dev/ulpt0
>
> makes the printer print properly.
>
> Okay, it works.
>
> How am I supposed to use a PPD file with CUPS when no
> local printer is shown?
>
> I "need" CUPS (or at least my programs seem to think
> that), how should it be done?
>
> Okay, I could make a simple printer filter. I could then
> integrate that with /etc/printcap (as I do with my PCL
> HP Laserjet 4000d). I think it should be possible to code
> that similar to a parallel printer (with ulpt instead
> of lpt device specification for the lp= parameter...

You did nothing wrong, on the contrary. You now have a prefectly working
printer. You just need to tell cups it exists.
Since

  	# foo2qpdl-wrapper -p 2 -c cupstest.ps>  cupstest.xqx
	# cat cupstest.xqx>  /dev/ulpt0

works, you should be able to create a new printer using a direct device.
So go on as if you wanted to create a network printer, choose
HPJetDirect (for example) when asked about the connection. Then when you
have to input the uri remove the socket:// and type usb:///dev/ulpt0.
(Yes triple / before dev)
The you can process as usual for name, options and PPD.
If it doesn't work try parallel:///dev/ulpt0
Normally one should work.

Basically in cups choosing "network connection" allows you to input any
URI  you want, including file and raw (now defunct I think - it was
mainly for debug anyway).

I never tried this specific printer, but this trick worked well on a few
HP and Canon.

Tell us how it went.

Jerome Herman