Date:      Wed, 4 Feb 1998 10:27:08 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Joshua Fielden <shaggy@thoroweb.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Printer Recommendations...

On Mon, 2 Feb 1998, Joshua Fielden wrote:

> ....I have at my disposal a HP DJ 682c, 855c, and Canon 610. I was
> wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a "most compatable" printer
> for dumping text to. Graphics are a low to non priority (we have PS
> network printers).

I don't know about the Canon, but the HPs will process carriage returns
DOS-style, so you get the stairstep effect unless you send an escape code
to change the mode first.  I believe that code is in the printing section
of the Handbook.

I'd hate to waste an 855C on plain text; it's a fast color printer.  We
have one on our home machine and it cooks.  One of the better HPs of the
post-500C era.

If the Canon doesn't stairstep and is sufficiently fast for you I'd
suggest it.