Date:      Tue, 12 Dec 1995 09:20:47 -0800
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
To:        ctassell@isn.net (Charles Tassell)
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCSI vs EIDE

}   I'm setting up an ISP for a guy who REALLY wants to use EIDE 4 drives
} (transfer rate around 12 meg/s I think he said)  Now considering the fact that
I would really like to see the EIDE system which can actually benchmark
to the drive at a rate 1/3 as large.  In other words, I doubt you can
buy an EIDE system which will reach half as fast as either the NCR or
the Adaptec PCI controllers connected up to any of half a dozen 7200rpm
SCSI drives.  I have SCSI data on my web site.  I strongly suggest running
a 100 or 200 MB bonnie on the candidate EIDE system, and comparing to
my data.

Regards,
Russell
http://www.geli.com

} all PCI boards come with build in EIDE controllers in them, why is everyone so
} big on SCSI?
}
}   I'd personally rather use SCSI myself, just because I have doubts as to
} whether or not EIDE is really as stable as they say, but I may be outvoted in
} this.  Can anyone out there come up with some convincing arguments why to go
} SCSI?  BTW: The machine is going to be an all-in one server: news, mail, WWW,
} DNS, terminal server (yey!  this wont crash often <S>)  And, we might run BSD
} instead of FreeBSD.
}
} Charles Tassell  -  ctassell@isn.net
} http://www.isn.net/~ctassell/index.html
} Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the least....
}