Date:      Fri, 11 Oct 2002 22:21:21 -0700
From:      Greg White <gregw-freebsd-stable@greg.cex.ca>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Left-over directory when asked to remove /var/tmp/temproot

On Fri Oct 10/11/02, 2002 at 11:16:02PM -0500, Josh Tolbert wrote:
> Hello,
> 	After cvsupping/make buildworld/make buildkernel/make
> installkernel/mergemaster from 4.7-RELEASE to 4.7-STABLE as of about four
> hours ago I ran in to a slight problem with mergemaster.
> 	The mergemaster itself went perfectly fine, as I've come to
> expect. Unfortunately, mergemaster wasn't able to remove all of
> /var/tmp/tmproot when I answered yes to the question about removing the
> rest of /var/tmp/tmproot.

1. You're cvsup'ing stale sources. This was a problem for a _very_ short
while in 4.6-STABLE or 4.7-PRELELEASE/RC. It lasted no more than seven
(7) days, and I'm pretty sure it's less.

2. You're ignoring later messages from mergemaster.
Do you wish to delete what is left of /var/tmp/temproot? [no] yes
rm: /var/tmp/temproot/var/empty: Operation not permitted
rm: /var/tmp/temproot/var: Directory not empty
rm: /var/tmp/temproot: Directory not empty
 *** /var/tmp/temproot has been deleted

I strongly suggest you cvsup from a known good source and try again.

--
Greg White