Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 22:35:10 +0100
From:      Per Tore Larsen <per.tore.larsen@fernonorden.com>
To:        'Dennis Jun' <dennisjun@home.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: intel vs. AMD

>Christopher Farley wrote:

>> J.Goodleaf (john@goodleaf.net) wrote:
>>
>>> If you need/want a dual proc machine, you must go Intel.
>>

>> If I'm not mistaken, this is a hardware limitation, not a FreeBSD
>> limitation... Dual processor AMD motherboards aren't made yet. It's a
>> shame nobody will take a risk on a dual-processor AMD server MB.
>>
>I believe it's not the fact that the AMD can't handle dual support, it's
>just the motherboards: specifically, the chipset. However AMD is
>planning to come out with the 730 chipset (I think) mid next year to
>support dual cpus.

The new chipset is the AMD 760 with is already released. Check out
ASUS webpage for more info.
The motherboard will be released in early 2001 pending tests and
of course flaws they find in their design. The two likely candidates for
the motherboard is VIA and ASUS, but has also heard an romour about
AMD coming out with thier own motherboard to kickstart this highly
atticipated motherboard.
Thinking 'bout running an dual Athlon 1,2, overclocked to 1,5 Ghz each
really makes my day!!

Check out AMD roadmap for more information.

PeTe