Date:      Mon, 08 Mar 2004 13:07:09 -0800
From:      underway@comcast.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   network type console and /etc/ttys

/etc/ttys has a field called "type" and says that "network" is an
option, but I can't find that expanded upon in its manpage or in the
Handbook or FAQ.  I've tried googling, but my searches either return a
small list with no relevant info or a huge list that seems to be all
off topic.

The file has "network" for "Pseudo terminals" (ttyp#), but that isn't
enough of a clue for me, either.

The basic question is whether and how one can set up a remote (LAN)
terminal, probably using that "network" type in /etc/ttys (without
using X11).  How does one specify which network port, for example?
It seems like it should be handled very much like setting up a
RS-232-type serial terminal.

The original problem was whether and how one can do that for the
console terminal, to support even single-user mode.

Seems like basic stuff, but I've never seen mention of it before.

Thanks.  (And a guy on a local mailing list who's about to buy a
multiport "serial" card might thank you too.)