Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 2004 09:21:55 +0100
From:      Richard Bradley <rtb27@cam.ac.uk>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Keeping Ports synchronised with Packages

Thanks to everyone who replied to my earlier question about using the ports
and packages system better.

To recap, I have always used cvsup and portupgrade to keep my programs up to
date, but cvsup takes my ports tree to a newer version than any precompiled
packages on ftp.*.freebsd.org, so `portupgrade -P` will ignore all packages
as being out of date, and compile everything from scratch.

For the past couple of days, I have been trying `pkg_add -r` as suggested on
this list. With a few notable exceptions (java, eclipse..) it seems to be
working just fine, but usually gives warnings about the libraries being newer
than expected (they must have been changed by portupgrade). I can only hope
that the changes in the libraries are bug-fixes and do not affect the
behaviour (I haven't noticed any instability, but this could well introduce
subtle bugs).

My new arrangement is much better (I had been used to waiting a couple of
hours for things to compile every time I used portupgrade), but I am left
with niggling worries about using programs compiled against different
versions of libraries than exist on my system.

My question is then this:

Is using `pkg_add -r` and falling back to `portinstall` the best way to use
the ports/packages system? Is there no way to get the -P or -PP flag to have
any effect on portinstall while keeping an up to date ports tree?

Thanks for all your help so far,

Rich