Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 1996 23:03:52 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu>
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, terry@lambert.org, grog@lemis.de, chat@FreeBSD.org, smut@clem-162.dorms.tamu.edu
Subject:   Re: SCSI A/V drives

   > Okay, understood... I hadn't realized that the recal was a
   > time-consuming process.  Why does the drive logic not continuously
   > update the thermal expansion factor it uses, each time it seeks?
   Some do; it's an expensive process though, and often servo logic
   doesn't have the grunt for it (think 'low cost').

Expensive in terms of time (and where is it spent? Calculations or
head seeks?) or in terms of circuitry or what?

Is this type of logic usually handled by a controller with a PROM or
by custom circuitry?

Thanks,
Joel